Calder Hall: Atomic Power Station

by The Heartwood Institute

supported by
/
1.
2.
3.
4.
03:59
5.
02:50
6.
7.
04:56
8.

about

Calder Hall, first connected to the grid on 27 August 1956 and officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 17 October 1956, was the world's first power station to generate electricity on an industrial scale from nuclear energy. The Calder Hall design was codenamed PIPPA (Pressurised Pile Producing Power and Plutonium) by the UKAEA to denote the plant's dual commercial and military role. Construction started in 1953. Calder Hall had four Magnox reactors capable of generating 60 MWe (net) of power each, reduced to 50 MWe in 1973. The reactors were supplied by UKAEA, the turbines by C. A. Parsons and Company, and the civil engineering contractor was Taylor Woodrow Construction. When the station closed on 31 March 2003, the first reactor had been in use for nearly 47 years.

credits

released July 23, 2016

All tracks composed and realised by Jonathan Sharp, 2016.

tags

license

all rights reserved

feeds

feeds for this album, this artist

about

The Heartwood Institute England, UK

Hauntronica from the heart of the English Lake District.

contact / help

Contact The Heartwood Institute

Streaming and
Download help